Friday, March 18, 2011

Top 3 Favorite books

Hey everyone!

So to start off this book blog I think it would be good to establish my favorite books of all time. They are my favorites because I can read them over and over and learn something new every time I flip the page!

Number one- Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.
It is a brilliantly written book of success stories. Need a pick me up? READ THIS! Malcolm writes ""Outlier" is a scientific term to describe things or phenomena that lie outside normal experience". This book takes a deeper look into the sport of hockey, the Beatles, cooperate lawyers and more seeing what brought them to where they are now. This book taught me to see the big picture, but in the big picture to look at the underlining patterns and systems that bring success. I absolutely loved reading this because Malcolm Gladwell challenges us to ask questions. So many times I just go with the flow and believe what I'm told. (I'm not saying go against authority) I'm saying picking apart situations, businesses, even people and figuring out what makes them work and how they find a solution that works for them.

Number two- The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
Throughout high school you learn the facts of history and don't understand me wrong I loved those classes, but this book really paints a picture of the emotional side of history. It puts you in the middle of all chios and brings to light the hard yet brave decisions that General Robert E. Lee and his men had to make during the civil war. Although it is a bit gory (expect this I mean it is about fighting) The Killer Angels makes this important piece of history more than just facts and dates. I could not put this book down due to the style of Michael Shaara's writing it keeps you on the edge of your seat! (even though if you took a history class, you know what happens in the end).



Number three- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
An Epic Classic. I know what your thinking guys "Girl Book" and it is BUT! Jane Austen's style of writing is so perfectly entertaining. Her language is witty and engaging, it makes you want to talk like her. This story of Elizabeth Bennet is fun and inspires woman to not give in to the pressures of society no matter what era. I find that every character in fact is relatable to at least someone I know and it makes the book all the more entertaining. This book is a good vacation read, no matter if you are in a plane for long hours or on the beach this book will keep you turning pages until you run out of them.



It was hard to only pick three, but these books are absolutely amazing! If you need a good book start with this list! If you have any good book suggestions please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment